Monday, April 11, 2011

Cambodia - it's not over until it's over

I thought today was going to be a day to unwind but apparently His work is never done. :) Ministry is still happening within the team, healing is still happening for those around us. This is a special place, a land of healing. It's like with all the pain that the Cambodian's have experienced with the genocide God has decided to land here with his healing presence. It's a very special place.

Today we hit the market and did a little shopping. I have a few souvineers to bring home as a huge thank for those that contrubited to my trip. You can't even imagine what you have participated in. Your contribution to my trip was life changing for many. So rest assured you have stored up yourselves treasures in heaven.

At the market we ran into an addict from Austrailia. He was a very convincing liar. Made sure to find out first we were not from Austrailia and then proceeded to tell us how he had lost his passport, been to the embassy which was closed since it was a holiday in Austrailia and thank God he had run into us because he only spoke English and needed money. His eyes were pinned, his teeth rotted from drugs. Pretty obvious he needed drug money.

A beggar with a small child, missing a hand. I hate to believe it, but the question had to be asked in a place like this, was that child missing his hand at birth or was that child maimed so the beggar could make a living.

We went to a medical hospital today. It was another heart wrenching experience. The conditions horrific. The patients beyond words. Sorrow is the only appropriate response. One man hit by a car and dragged behind it. The result, most of his skin on the front side gone, and literally his privates ripped apart. His wife lifted up his robe to show us, I don't think he appreciated it. One man waiting to have his broken leg set, it was compound fracture. 3 men who were burn victims, one wrapped from head to two and two eyes I will never forget hopelessly peering out, the only thing I could see of him. Unspeakable. Aids patients, ICU patients, just out of surgery patients. We were shielded from nothing. We are so fortunate to have what we have. We are so selfish to not help in whatever way God calls us to help. The hospital was unairconditioned and mostly outdoors. The patients had cots with thin matresses. The only real medical equipment I saw was outdated at best. The place was a pit. And people come and literally move in, bringing their own cooking supplies and belongings. One man, a neurology patient, head wrapped, reached out and asked us to come closer. So I stopped, gently laid my hand on his head and prayed over him. I hope God answers my prayer. How can you walk away unchanged by that experience. I don't know. The only appropriate response is to have a good cry and allow the Holy Spirit to comfort you.

And not that i am trying to depress you, but I guess it is only a way to process...I forgot to tell you about the sweetest girl at the women's center. I only heard her story after we left. She is nearly blind and has a hearing aid but almost deaf. Why? She was born normal. But one night she was raped and the man then threw her off the balcony, only to go down, collect her and do it all over again. It left her damaged. When we first arrived she was a bit skiddish around us. By the time we left I could'hardly pry her off of me. What joy, what joy is this to love a woman so abused. To remind her that she is loved and to receive more from her than you could ever give back. Because everyone here has a strength in which they carry themselves, a grace that is unexplainable. At least the ones that know Jesus. The others are weighted down. It's a stark contrast.

After the hospital we walked down to the river and had dinner at a Spanish restaurant. Tapas! The river is where 4 rivers meet, there is a temple set up and people were burning incense and worshipping idols. As I walked into the area, I felt the spiritual stronghold, like a weight of bricks landed on me. I have never felt anything like it before. So I just prayed and praised until the weight lifted and then there was peace. And a vision of his people standing in that very place, worshipping Him.

Tomorrow I board a plane and come home, but I will never be the same. It's like i have been in a dream and I am waking up. Everything around me will be the same, work, house, kids, but I am not the same. And I don't want to be. But I do want my husband and kids! So here I come!!!

1 comment:

chelsea said...

Thank you so much for writing all that. I am so glad you went and made a difference there with God's love.